Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Did Devan lie

English Lessons

Did Devan Lie? English, baby! Video Lesson

Eavesdropping

5.05.05.05.05.0

Feb 19 2008


Intro

Would you lie to get what you want?
Surely, if you’ve been following the soap opera here on Ebaby!, the thought has crossed your mind that Devan might have lied.

Let’s look at the facts. Devan likes Mason and so does Amanda. But Devan told Jason that Amanda likes him. And you saw their date last week. It sure doesn’t look like Amanda likes Jason.

So what’s going on? Did Devan lie to Jason as part of her plan to win Mason? Watch Marni put Devan on the spot.

Video

Dialogue

Marni: I, I want to ask you something and I hope…I just want to ask you and I hope you’re not offended, but I just feel like I need to know. This whole Mason and Amanda thing. Did you…

Devan: What about Mason and Amanda?

Marni: Well, we’ve sort of figured…We realized that there was some miscommunication and that you told Jason that Amanda liked him but in reality we realized that she actually likes Mason…

Devan: Yeah, but isn’t it working out? Aren’t her and Jason, like dating now? That’s what I heard.

Marni: I don’t think so…

Devan: So she still likes Mason then?

Marni: As far as I know, yes. Well, what I was going to ask you is, did you, like deliberately kind of plant misinformation…

Devan: What?

Marni: I just had to ask you…

Devan: Why would I do that? I don’t understand why I would do such a thing.

Marni: I don’t know that you would. I’m just asking because it’s kind of interesting the way things are working out but I just had to ask. Sorry, I just gotta ask.

Devan: You know, I heard that her and Jason are getting along really great. I think they should really pursue that. Do you really think that Mason and Amanda are a good fit? I mean, Mason and Amanda or Jason and Amanda. What makes sense?

Marni: I…It’s all about feelings, right. I just had to ask to see what you…And I’m sorry if I offended you, I don’t think you’re that kind of person, I was just wondering because I know how you feel about Mason and…

Devan: I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Marni: Okay. Sorry. Alright. Let’s just drop it.

Discussion

When Marni gets Devan alone on the fire escape, she takes the opportunity to ask her if she lied to Jason.

Devan says that she really did think Amanda liked Jason, and even if she got confused and told him the wrong thing, they’re dating now so everything is OK. She says she doesn’t know why Marni would think she would do such a rotten thing.

Marni says that doesn’t know for sure that Devan did anything wrong, but that the situation sure is strange. Devan says that nothing is strange, that Jason and Amanda are together and make a good couple. When Marni finally says that Devan likes Mason, Devan pretends she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

What do you think happened? Was Devan confused or lying? Have you ever been unable to tell if one of your friends was lying?



Vocab X



such a thing n.

Definition:
a strange or bad thing

Example:
He told you he's joining the circus? Why would he do such a thing?


rotten adj.

Definition:
slang for mean, untrustworthy, bad

Example:
That kid stole my lunch money. I don't like him. He's rotten.


plant v.

Definition:
give, distribute, leave behind

Example:
The police officer planted the evidence that led to the arrest of the innocent man.


work out v.

Definition:
be successful; have a good conclusion

Example:
We tried dating for a few months but it didn't work out.


put on the spot v.

Definition:
be direct with someone; force someone to answer immediately

Example:
He put me on the spot and demanded an answer right then so I said no.


no doubt crossed your mind expr.

Definition:
surely been thought about

Example:
It no doubt crossed the burglars mind to turn around and go home, but he broke in anyway.


fire escape n.

Definition:
a series of metal ladders and platforms on the outside of a tall building, used to exit during a fire

Example:
I'm going out to the fire escape to smoke a cigarette. Anyone want to come?


drop it v.

Definition:
stop talking about it; forget this topic

Example:
Will you just drop it? I told you I don't want to talk about what happened last night.


good fit n.

Definition:
a good match, good combination

Example:
We just don't feel that you're a very good fit with this company.


get along v.

Definition:
work well together; be friendly with one another

Example:
I would rather not drive in his car to the party because we don't get along.





No comments: