Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Called to Say Hey

Called to Say Hey
5.05.05.05.05.0
Feb 05 2008

Intro

Even though she rejected him pretty harshly when he tried to kiss her, Amanda did tell Jason they could take it slow. So he figured he’d brighten up her day a little and surprise her with a phone call at work.

Video

Dialogue

Amanda: Celestial Seasonings Tea, this is Amanda.

Jason: Hey, Amanda, it’s Jason.

Amanda: Oh, hey Mason!

Jason: No, no, no. Jason.

Amanda: Jason. Oh. Hi. Um…What are you doin’?

Jason: Oh, I was just calling to say, “Hey.”

Amanda: I didn’t even know you knew my number. But that’s totally fine. That’s cool.

Jason: You just told me where you worked and I found it in the dial by name directory.

Amanda: Wow, that’s resourceful. So what’s going on? Because I’m kind of busy at work. I’ve got a deadline and…Do you have an emergency or something?

Jason: Oh, n-n-no, I just…I’m sorry to bug you then, I just wondered if you wanted to go do something on Friday, maybe.

Amanda: Oh, this Friday?

Jason: Y-y-yeah.

Amanda: It’s so weird, like I think I have something, but I can’t remember what it is so, I guess I’m free. Friday…I guess. OK. That’s fine. What do you want to do?

Jason: Oh, we could see a movie or go ice skating or something.

Amanda: I’d rather if we kind of did something that was in a 30-minute time frame, so if you can figure out some type of short, quick, brief activity.

Jason: I’ll figure something out. But why don’t I pick you up at 7:30 and I’ll figure something out in that half-hour window.

Amanda: OK. I look forward to it.

Jason: Cool!

Amanda: OK, I gotta go. I’m sorry.

Jason: No, no problem.

Amanda: But I appreciate the call. Just try not to do it again, OK?

Jason: OK, sure.

Amanda: OK. Bye.

Jason: Bye.

Amanda: Huh. Wow.

Discussion

When Jason says his name over the phone, Amanda thinks he says Mason. That’s not the first time that someone confused the two names.

She’s surprised that Jason has her number, but apparently it wasn’t too hard to track her down because she had told him where she works.

Amanda wonders why Jason if calling. Is he in trouble or something? It seems like she doesn’t think his surprise is as romantic as he did. He says he just called to see if she wanted to hang out on Friday.

Amanda agrees to go out on Friday on a very short date. Jason seems excited but Amanda seems a little bit uncomfortable.

Would you like it if someone surprised you with a phone call at work? How do you think Amanda and Jason’s date will go?



Vocab X



deadline n.

Definition:
a strict time when something has to be done

Example:
The editors have a 3 pm deadline to finish the newspaper in order to get it out on time.


tracked down expr.

Definition:
found, located

Example:
I tracked down my cat. She was hiding in a tree near my house.


dial by name directory n.

Definition:
automated list of extensions at a business

Example:
Hey what's your extension? I couldn't find you in the dial by name directory.


brighten up v.

Definition:
improve; add fun

Example:
I'm really glad they showed that movie on the plane. It brightened up the flight.


take it slow v.

Definition:
to proceed slowly, usually in a romantic relationship

Example:
We're taking it slow. We haven't slept together yet.


harsh adj.

Definition:
mean, not very nice

Example:
That was a harsh thing that Lisa told her friend. She made her cry and leave work.


window n.

Definition:
period of time; opportunity

Example:
There's an hour window in there where I could meet you for lunch.


time frame n.

Definition:
a certain period of time; a window of time

Example:
Is that project something we can get done within a two-hour time frame?


I'm free expr.

Definition:
I'm not busy; I don't have to do anything

Example:
We should hang out. I'll call you when I'm free.


bug v.

Definition:
bother or annoy

Example:
Loud people really bug me because they seem so arrogant.





No comments: